Wednesday, February 14, 2007

11 Days Off! How you like 'dem apples?

I've written about all the Holidays that I've missed in America by being here in Vietnam. However, today I get to take 11 days off of work for the biggest holiday event in Vietnam -- Tet or the Lunar New Year. The whole country virtually shuts down. Most businesses and government offices close several days before the 1st of the year (which falls on February 17th this year). Our company will be off from February 15 thru February 25! An excellent time for me to tour and explore my Motherland.

I'll be leaving here in about 30 mins. to spend a few days at my Aunt's house in Long Khanh (about 1 1/2 hours outside of Saigon). It's "country" to say the least. I'll be surrounded by all of my favorite mosquito buddies, but at the same time, this area has the freshest tropical fruit around! We'll be having a dinner this evening for the anniversary of my Uncle's death. My cousin, who is a Priest, will be visiting there for 2 days also! It's gonna be a great few days.

After that, I will be returning home this Friday to welcome friends from the Great State of Ohio! They are visiting Hong Kong first for a business conference and then will be joined by my good friend from Mount Union (who lives in Hong Kong now). All 3 will fly into Vietnam and we will be touring Hue, Hoi An and Da Nang. I will be sure to repost w/ pics in a few weeks.

Until then, may all who read this have a very blessed, happy, healthy, and prospersous Lunar New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment