Thursday, November 22, 2007

Happy Thanksgiving!


The Holiday Season officially begins with Thanksgiving. It's one of my favorite times of the year, along with March Madness! You can almost parallel the two since the next few months people are running all over town like madmen trying to find the best deals, beating the rush, and blowing all of their money on indiscriminate items...similar to your yearly March Madness Bracket. It's insanity wrapped in a convenient package!

I am more of the type that relishes not in the sensationalism and consumerism of the holidays but more so in its "sentimental feelings" to borrow from the holiday song. While it's cheezy to state, it rings truer to the core as this will be my second year in a row spending the holidays away from my "immediate" family. I definitely do not take for granted my family here in Vietnam as this year (exactly one year this week) has been one of the most fulfilling experiences I could have ever imagined. Simply stated, it's just not the same (I really never expected it to be anyways).

I am headed out to a local restaurant that my friend is a co-owner of. The other owner and head chef is an American and they will be serving an "authentic" Thanksgiving dinner buffet ($25). It's not gonna be anything similar to my tasty Deep Fried Turkey w/ Cajun Rice (my brother-in-law's recipe) but it will do in the absence of me getting my hands on a deep fryer, cajun spices, and most importantly...A TURKEY! I am headed out w/ a few other expat friends to give thanks for life, family, and friendship!

With that said, I'd like to wish all of you out there a Happy Thanksgiving! Enjoy your holiday and enjoy your Families!!!

-- Jerome

P.S.

Here's the menu for my dinner:

• Roasted stuffed boneless turkey filled with corn bread and sausage stuffing
• Whole roast turkey (traditional) Corn bread stuffing (traditional)
• Special homemade whisky sausage
• Giblet gravy
• Mashed potatoes
• Candied sweet potatoes
• Candied beets with orange liquor
• Sweet and sour carrots
• Grease beans “ that’s green beans slow cooked with bacon”
• Green salad
• Cranberry sauce
• Fresh buttered corn “of the cob”
• Hot homemade dinner rolls
• Macaroni and cheese (kids and adults)
• Sweet potato pie. Pecan pie, Pumpkin pie, Apple pie
• Cranberry Sangria
• Beer, soft drinks and juices

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you had a great Thanksgiving!!

    Jane in Columbus (home of the best damn team in the land)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey seems like you have found way to compensade for what you don't have overthere. You know some of my friends who studied in the States and now live in Vietnam also miss the Thanksgiving tradition holiday too. I'm not that big on turkey (I'm more about the side dishes =D) but I do appreciate this American tradition :D
    btw, what's the name of that restaurant so I can recommend it to my friends who miss American food sometime? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. J-Do
    I was listening to Boyz II Men "Thank You" today and I thought about you, James Martin, and Korey Wright. Boy those were the days.
    I swear keeping up with you is like playing Where in the World is Carmen San Diego! How the hell are you? I am so glad you kept the Turkey Day tradition alive over there. When you come back, you have to come through and I will cook a true, down home, thanksgiving dinner-You know you my soul brotha number 1! By the way, MUC is 12-0. I'm a Purple Raider till I die!!!!

    ReplyDelete